From: Puverle, Tomas (IT) (Tomas.Puverle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-20 03:59:34

(first post to this forum, so be nice guys! :)

> For example, on ia32 32 bit aligned ops are atomic

But you will also need to express the constraint that the data be
aligned?

> , on ia64
> it is 64 bit.

However, remember that the fact that a given data type can be written in
a single operation != visibility across all processors in an MP system.

> doubles on ia32 need locking to be atomic, on
> ia64 they don't.

I think that the later models of ia32 can write up to 8 bytes at a time.

> Any suggestions on best practice for this?

I think you might want to send this post to comp.programming.threads too
- you may get some interesting feedback. I think Alexander Therekhov
has some class wrapper for atomic types that I am sure he'd be keen to
discuss, but unfortunately I've never had the time to review it.

Tom

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.