From: Misha Bergal (mbergal_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-22 06:18:49

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I posted this yesterday, but got no reply. Can anyone explain the
> vast number of white cells in the Boost.Python regression log? In
> particular, the tests noted below don't look like they're reported
> correctly in the log.

White cells (missing test results) are caused by inability of
process_jam_log (utility which produces xml result files from bjam
log) to handle Boost.Python tests compile/link/execute failures.

Having done some research I believe that the main problem is that the
following bjam.log snippet:

...skipped <@boost!libs!python!test\args.test\msvc-stlport\debug\threading-multi>args.run
for lack of <@boost!libs!python!test\args.test\msvc-stlport\debug\threading-multi>args.pyd...

is treated by process_jam_log as:

1. Failed to build "args.run" in directory "args.test/..." because
   file args.pyd in the _same directory_ is missing.

2. If it is in the same directory, then it is something internal to
   args.test and it and failure to build it has already been processed
   and all relevant info has been dumped into xml results file in
   "args.test/..." directory. So process_jam_log just skips this
   message.

The real situation is different (I am speculating here - our boost
regression machine is in the middle of clean run, so I don't have all
logs etc.)

For one, args_ext.pyd was built in args_ext.pyd directory and xml
result file with failure was written in args_ext.pyf/... directory.

It is not clear to me what happens in Boost.Python build next.

At this point I would appreciate if somebody clarified to me how
Boost.Python build works, so I can figure out how to handle it in
process_jam_log.

--
Misha Bergal
MetaCommunications Engineering