From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-23 13:13:29

Maxim Yegorushkin wrote:
> Martin <adrianm_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> The fixed_string is already in the review schedule and a proposal for
>> immutable strings was published recently.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be good to combine these (and also maybe the flex string)
>> into a boost.strings library.

Sure. I am using a modified version of flex_string to implement
fixed_string, so reviewing both (and also immutable strings) would be a
good idea.

>> That way it would be easier to ensure that all string types work properly
>> together. It could also be possible to do some optimizations in the
>> interfaces
>> since each string class can assume the others are available e.g. a
>> fixed_string constructor in the immutable string.

Sure. We could maybe also consider the copy-on-write string storage
class, etc. as well as flex_string.

> I think that would be great to make the strings to know each other.
> Could you please provide a link to fixed_string docs and code?

It is in the boost sandbox (boost-sandbox/boost/fixed_string for the
code and boost-sandbox/libs/fixed_string for the docs, examples and tests).

The tests contain a complete minimal functionality test for the
std::string interface. This checks both boost::fixed_string and
boost::detail::basic_string_impl (that is a version of flex_string that
incorporates some updates like using boost::reverse_iterator). I am
willing to contribute these changes to a boost version of flex_string.

Regards,
Reece