From: Stefan Seefeld (sseefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-24 10:19:57

Indeed. This question is much more than a simple matter of
convenience. Some toolkits use a 'scene graph' - like approach, where
'outer' widgets wrap ('decorate') inner ones. Following this path further,
widgets could be shared by multiple parents, i.e. they could be rendered
at multiple positions on the screen (or multiple screens) at the same time.

I'v been working on the fresco project (http://www.fresco.org) and there
we push it even further: widgets are owned by the 'display server' which
applications talk to remotely (fresco is, much as X, network transparent).
So the object the application holds is just a proxy that will forward
all requests to the display server.

Regards,
                Stefan