From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-24 18:20:08

Hi Bruno,

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Bruno Martínez Aguerre <br1_at_[hidden]>
Fecha: Viernes, Septiembre 24, 2004 10:44 pm
Asunto: [boost] [Pointer Containers] [Indexed Set]

> Hi.
>
> I was wondering if these two libs work together. That is, can
> Indexed
> Sets take ownership of my pointers?

(First of all, the lib was renamed to Boost.MultiIndex.)

Indexed containers are no different to STL containers in
this respect: you can control ownership issues with some
smart pointer, for instance boost::shared_ptr, so that
objects pointed to get deleted along with the container.
Apart from this, no special provision has been made to work
with pointers.

Ownership management aside, I'd say one of the
key features of Thorsten's pointer containers is that their
interface automatically dereference the pointers held so as
to create the illusion that it is the actual elements
that are being stored in the container. This feature is not
supported by Boost.MultiIndex, and I don't think both
libs can be used together to implement this artifact.
To get something close to that, you can put a "view"
on top of a multi_index_container of pointers and
get dereferencing access. There are some view libraries
out there.

> Also, I couldn't find the docs for neither of the two libs. I
> looked here
> http://www.boost.org/regression-logs/cs-
> win32_metacomm/doc/html/libraries.html
> for Indexed Set,

The lib was renamed to Boost.MultiIndex, and will ship with
Boost 1.32. In the meantime you can consult the docs at

www.boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/multi_index

> and here
> http://boost-consulting.com/boost/more/formal_review_schedule.html
> for