From: CJ van den Berg (cj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-28 04:49:18

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:21:10AM -0700, Thomas Witt wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
> >Reece Dunn <msclrhd_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >
> >>[1] Support constructor-based window creation, e.g.:
> >>
> >> frame.add( new gui::button( "Boost!" ));
> >

> >Get rid of the new operator, though. IMO there's no excuse for a GUI
> >framework to expose users to unmanaged resources.
>
> Hmm, do you know of a C++ GUI framework that gets this right?
>
> Just curious

gtkmm [1] doesn't get rid of new completely, but it does provide
automatic widget management that pretty clean. I think their argument is
that fully managing widgets would make the use of stack based widgets
too cumbersome/impossible. I think their approach is very flexible and
easy to use.

[1] http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/ch18.html

--
CJ van den Berg <cj_at_[hidden]>