From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-30 07:50:37

> "Jeff Flinn" <TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> >> No, but I used the same newsreader for years and never experienced
> >> this problem. I suggest Cc'ing yourself on your next postings to see
> >> if it's happening at your end or elsewhere. I also suggest making
> >> sure you post in plain text and not HTML (in case that's what you're
> >> doing).
> >
> > I've tried to reproduce the problem on gmane.test, but I do not get the
> > "squeezed" subject text using OutlookExpress. I tried both plain and
html.

> > It's not just Gennadiy, but also Thorsten and some others on the list as
> > well. The subject of the root of this thread had a carriage return
and/or
> > linefeed and tab as white space.
>
> Could you explain what you mean in more detail?

Thorsten's original subject for this thread:

"[tokenizer and token_iterator] request for policy or redesign"

Is actually boken into two lines, the second prepended with a '^H' tab
character, as in:

line1>[tokenizer and token_iterator] request for policy or
line2> redesign

When viewing the original message source via the OutlookExpress(OE) File >>
Properties >> Details >> Message Source.

Any replies created using OE for a message with a subject containing '^H'
follow this pattern:

line1>[tokenizer and token_iterator] request for policy or
line2> redesign

reply:

line1>[tokenizer and token_iterator] request for policy
line2> orredesign

reply:

line1>[tokenizer and token_iterator] request for
line2> policyorredesign

> > I tried cutting/pasting in a tab into OE, but it is received as
> > text.
>
> Can you explain that one too?

I meant to say that the tab was replaced by equivalent spaces rather than
the explict '^H' tab character. I created text in an editor " test^Htest ",
and pasted it into the subject line in OutlookExpress(OE), to see if this
might be the cause of the problem.

Thanks,

Jeff F