From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-30 11:51:34

From: Doug Gregor <dgregor_at_[hidden]>
> On Sep 30, 2004, at 8:51 AM, Rob Stewart wrote:
> > 4. Some things don't adapt well to differing resolutions and font
> > sizes. Consider the preferred/portable syntax table at
> >
> > http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/
> > function.tutorial.html#id478061.
> > At my default settings, I see half of the second column. Were
> > the table not offset so far, I'd see the whole thing.
> > However, it is clear that things are set to not wrap
> > (non-breaking spaces, perhaps?), so the side-by-side
> > presentation means the table is likely to be wide and trigger
> > scrolling. The second preferred/portable syntax entry in that
> > section recognizes the problem and uses two tables, one above
> > the other. Were it not for the extra large offset, the
> > "Preferred syntax" table would fit at my default settings.
> > The point is that while you cannot control a reader's
> > resolution or font choices, and scrolling is inevitable,
> > reducing the offset and avoiding wide, non-wrapping layouts is
> > superior.
>
> Those tables themselves are absolutely horrible, and should be replaced
> with something less restrictive. Unfortunately, I don't have a better
> way to present equivalent alternative code snippets.

Wouldn't this be just as useful?

   <H3>Preferred Syntax</H3>
   <H3>Portable Syntax</H3>
   <code>boost::function2<float, int, int> f;</code>

> > 5. In
> >
> > http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/
> > function.tutorial.html#id478410,
> > a list is introduced with, "Three such libraries are
> > summarized below:," but there are no bullets setting off the
> > three paragraphs. Is this a Boost.Function documentation
> > issue or is this a consequence of the new style? If the
> > latter, there should be bullets to clearly delineate each
> > item.
>
> I see bullets in Safari (?)

I couldn't reproduce it using just the HTML that appears there.
That led me to the CSS. There I found:

   ul
   {
       list-style-image: url(images/bullet.gif);
       text-align: justify;
   }

I then tried looking at
http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/images/bullet.gif
and got a 404.

> > 8. When looking at
> >
> > http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/
> > ref.reference.html#header.boost.ref.hpp,
> > there's no indication that there is documentation on
> > boost::reference_wrapper. The link mentioned in 6 got me to
> > the documentation page, but when I went up to
> > http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/ref..html, and
> > then to
> > http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/ref.reference.html,
> > I was unsure how to get back to
> >
> > http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~ghost/boost_docs/
> > ref.reference.html#header.boost.ref.hpp,
> > since the link was in the "Header" section. Is this a
> > consequence of the documentation or the new style? I'd prefer
> > to see something like this in the "Reference" section or a
> > "Description" section:
> >
> > reference_wrapper - <brief>
> > ref - <brief>
> > cref - <brief>
> > is_reference_wrapper - <brief>
> > unwrap_reference - <brief>
> >
> > where the names are the same links as in the Header section.
>
> BoostBook has always been this way; the new look-n-feel does not change
> that. Would these links be in addition to the prototypes already
> provided?

Yes. As shown above, they are presented as documentation links.
As currently presented by BoostBook, I'd expect the links to take
me to code. They are, after all, in the "Header" section.