From: no_carrier (no_carrier_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-30 22:11:39

Hi all,

I see some atomic operations in atomic_count.hpp (usable only by the
atomic_count class unfortunately, and not directly) for incrementing and
decrementing, but the most important atomic operation seems to be
missing: the test_and_set.

Without that one it's not possible to create lockfree algorithms in MT.
Also, atomic incrementing, decrementing etc. can be performed having the
test_and_set but not vice versa. Would anybody please make a wrapper for
that? On Windows it's the InterlockedCompareExchange, on Gcc and Linux I
think they are called __test_and_set and atomic_test_and_set respectively.

I don't know if they would better go in the Boost.Threads or in the
atomic_something header files...

Thanks