From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-01 12:55:13

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

>> How exactly? Every part of the name carries essential information that
>> cannot be omitted without disabling other possible configurations. For
>> example, the only way we could omit "vc6" in
>> "intel-win32-7.1-vc6-stlport-4.5.3-tools" is if we explicitly decide
>> that we don't care about, let's say,
>> "intel-win32-7.1-vc7-stlport-4.5.3-tools", and nobody ever will.
>> ^^^
>> And so on.
>
> icl7.1-vc6-stlp453-tools?

You have to be carefull when changing the name. As the variant names for
build+install require the toolset names to be in a perticular form. So
you either update the common-variant-tag rule to account for your
changes. Or you need to follow some rules:

* You can use the short name or the long name of the toolset. For
example you can use either "intel-win32" or "iw".

* You need the version of the toolset to include both major and minor
numbers separated by a period. No need for patch numbers. So here you
have to keep the "7.1".

* You need to keep "stlport" in the name. [This would be an easy one to
change to recognize a shorter synonym]

* You need to keep the basic format of:
        <name>-<version>...stlport...-tools.jam

Even with that boost-base.jam will need to change to handle both
"intel-win32" and "iw".

You can probably shorted "vc6" to just "6", assuming that VC is the only
supported backend for the toolset.

So the shortest I would suggest is:

iw-7.1-6-stlport453-tools.jam

Which comes in at 29 chars. You could even add back in the "vc" and
still be at 31 chars :-)

--grafik