From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-03 05:36:15

>>Just to be clear here - I haven't changed anything yet - or even
>>experimented with such a change, more like thinking out loud.
>
> It was to THIS change I referred when I said: "John was going to change"
> no change should have been necessary.........................

OK, I misunderstood, apologies.

Note however that if their install defines VS80COMNTOOLS system wide then
the change I made *will have no effect*.

However is it possible to install VC++ for a single user rather than system
wide? I don't know - but you can with most tools - but it's been a while
since I've installed VC++ and can't remember: but if you can then I wouldn't
expect VS80COMNTOOLS to be set system wide.

>>However if a particular toolset readily identifies itself in the registry,
>>that seems to be a lot more reliable than messing with environment
>>variables that the user has to type in every time they want to use Boost.
>
> I didn't suggest that the user type in anything, I suggested we use the
> environment variable(s) which are put there by the install process.

You're right, on reflection the toolset as it stands now will work without
the user having to set anything: you're obviously way ahead of me, so I'll
just shut up now ;-)

John.