From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-11 14:54:34

Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The libstdc++ developers are starting to implement the library
> extensions from TR1, including Boost-like smart ptrs, regex etc.
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1687.pdf
>
> I have volunteered to look into modifying the Boost smart pointers to
> match the TR1 specs and the libstdc++ coding standards.
>
> I realise I can modify the files and include them under the terms of
> the Boost licence, but the last Boost code to be used in libstdc++
> (the concept checks) were licensed under the GPL. I believe that was
> something Jeremy Siek (as copyright holder) allowed specially:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2001-04/msg00050.html
>
> Would the SmartPtr authors (Peter, Greg, Beman, Daniel, Howard, Multi
> Media Ltd ...) consider allowing modified versions of shared_ptr.hpp,
> weak_ptr.hpp, shared_count.hpp and (maybe) checked_delete.hpp to be
> included in the GCC sources? It would probably require licensing them
> as GPL, which is where I imagine some people might have reservations.
> That wouldn't affect the copies in the Boost tree, of course.
>
> Allowing this would greatly speed up the process of adding TR1
> features to libstdc++ and tracking the draft TR as it evolves. I am
> prepared to rewrite the smart pointers without using Boost code if
> necessary, but would obviously prefer not to, when the Boost
> implementations are the reference ones that were used for the TR1.
>
> I eagerly await responses, as whether I have to rewrite the classes or
> not will have quite an impact on my free time :-)

I (Peter Dimov, also speaking on behalf of Multi Media Ltd) hereby grant you
permission to use my contributions to Boost in the TR1 implementation in
libstdc++.

But legalese aside, the most important part of the implementation are the
tests, anyway. ;-) Rewriting shared_ptr isn't that hard, really, once you
know what to aim for.