From: Maciej Sobczak (prog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-17 08:45:52

Steve Hutton wrote:

> I suggest that the best way around this is to work incrementally - starting with
> a first release that is limited in scope, and building momentum from there.
> Maciej Sobczak's soci library, referenced elsewhere in this thread, seems to
> have potential along those lines.
>
> Why not make simple boost::db that does 80% of what's commonly used, with a
> simple interface, and then go from there with later additions? Just having a
> modern library that can execute sql against the leading databases would be a
> huge win.

I have just moved the SOCI project to SourceForge, to gain some
attention of develpers who may have expertise in interfacing with
database engines other than Oracle:

http://soci.sourceforge.net/

The idea was to enable users with simple needs to write simple code.
Yes, complete and sophisticated DB library is a huge effort, but
straightforward solutions seem to fit the bill in most of the cases.

The licensing of the existing code is based on the original Boost
license (pre-1.0), so there is no problem with adapting and reusing the
source code in any other development effort, be it on SourceForge or
within Boost.

Looking forward to see development of the Boost DB library.

Programming    : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/