From: Stefan Seefeld (sseefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-19 12:04:36

The unicode standard is rather young, compared to the C++ standard library.
It seems the original authors of std::locale and std::basic_string just
prepared for some expected flexibility. That doesn't mean all the
complexities
of today's unicode could fit into that. Just look at the size requirements
alone compared to 'wchar_t'...

Regards,
                Stefan