From: Steve Hutton (shutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-19 22:47:41

In article <cl4lje$c8l$1_at_[hidden]>, Steve Hutton wrote:

> I suspect ODBC is a popular choice for implementers because it brings
> support for multiple databases. There is certainly precedent for
> porting OCI code to ODBC - that's the path taken by OTL.

To clarify - OTL today supports both OCI and ODBC. There are also
some libraries that tout native drivers (without ODBC) has a feature.
For example the commercial library sqlapi uses all native drivers,
and in the JDBC world, ODBC-bridge drivers have been superceded by
native drivers.

So the relevance of ODBC is open to debate - the key IMHO is uniform
support for all the major databases. ODBC may be a quick means to
that end. Native drivers can always be added later, or vise-versa.

Steve