From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-20 05:21:53

> e) There is nothing particularly special about unicode in this scheme.
> Its
> just one more encoding scheme among many. Therefore making a special
> unicode library would be unnecessarily specific. Any efforts so spent
> would
> be better invested in generic encoding/decoding algorithms and/or setting
> up
> locale facts for specific encodings UTF-8, UTF-16, etc.

Robert, there is a lot more to Unicode than an encoding form:

Character properties.
Collation.
Bidirectional character handling.
Character shaping algorithms.

And lots more I've forgotten: do take a look at ICU, I don't like the C++
design much, but it's a *huge* and technically very competent library.

John.