From: Erik Wien (wien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-20 13:11:41

"Eric Niebler" <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> No. "Normalization" doesn't always mean canonical decomposition. There are
> several canonical forms, some of which *require* the use of composite
> characters. In fact, the XML standard requires such a canonical form. A
> Unicode library cannot hide the issue of canonicalization from the user,
> because users will care which canonical form is being used.

When I say "hidden", I do not neccesarily mean "unaccessible". I can think
of many ways to provide a policy or something that would determine which
normalization form would be used on a call to the == operator. My point was
that we should not require the common user to know what a normalization form
is, and to aid that provide a default normalization policy that maps the
closest to "common sense". ('ö' should "equal" 'o¨' for example.)