From: Stefan Seefeld (sseefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-20 13:50:19

another argument is legacy / compatibility. I'v written an XML library
in C++ that essentially wraps a C library (libxml2 for the insiders),
and so I'd like to avoid unnecessary string copies when passing data
around.
While the inside uses utf-8, I want to make the wrapper API adaptive
to user-side unicode APIs. Thus the unicode type has become a template
parameter, and conversion is being done by a trait class.

Regards,
                Stefan