From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-24 09:36:41

> Well, personally, I'd really like to try and go macro-less on the logging
> approach. I don't like macros because:
>
> 1) The logging code will be in the release build anyway (for all industrial
> apps I've seen this is the case).
> 2) Macro systems tend to be fragile -- pass it bad type (eg:string instead of
> char*) and it might crash your app. In this day and age the compiler should
> detect these errors...

It depends on how many macros you use.
In my lib, there's only two:

BOOST_LOG
BOOST_IS_LOG_ENABLED

If you look at the usage, any semantic error will be reported at
compile-time.

Best,
John

--
John Torjo,    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all