From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-28 19:34:44

> not yet, but in the near future I want to add cyclic logs (or rotating
> logs, if you wish).

That would help in the cases where I need the log on disk.

As you said in another mail building an in-memory circular log on top of
boost::circular_buffer should not be too hard, so I'll try.

> As a side-note, I'm planning to update the SMART_ASSERT lib in about 3
> weeks ;)

That is good news - I've found it very useful in tracking down bugs. All it
lacks is stack trace (which is simply not possible I believe) and a history
log (that I'm talking about here).

> However, the fact you want the circular log buffer makes me think that
> you have quite a few failed assertions ;)

Probably about one line in 4 is an assert (mostly preconditions at the start
of each function). I'm hoping Thorsten Ottosen's contract programming will
make it into the standard so the compiler will understand asserts and be
able to optimize away the redundant ones.

> Anyway, I'll try to improve SMART_ASSERT in the near future.
> (now that I think about it, maybe it should use Boost.Log for its
> logging completely...)

Only if it stays behind the scenes - I like that I define its behaviour once
in main(); I wouldn't want to have to specify a log name in every
SMART_ASSERT() line.

Darren