From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-31 01:16:22

Markus Schöpflin wrote:

> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
>

>>Can I gently ask everybody to be more careful with integration of
>>changes from the main trunk to the release branch? If you have to
>>do it, please double-check everything (in particular, run the
>>diffs) before committing the merged files.
>>
>>We've already got the new "boost/index.html" contents with *1.33.0*
>>section stub in the release branch, and dealing with more of
>>something like this is not going to help the release.
>
> I'm wondering why the procedure isn't the other way round, eg. first check
> in on the release branch and then merge the fix onto the main branch if it
> affects the main branch as well.

In many projects, there is no such thing as "merging to the release
branch" or "merging from the release branch."

If a patch to mainline also qualifies for the release branch (for
example, it fixes a regression), then it is committed to the release
branch at the same time. If a patch fixes a regression only present on
the release branch, then it is committed to the release branch only.

And, of course, diffs for all patches are carefully checked, and patches
are regression tested before commit, so there aren't any mistakes in the
first place, right? :-)

Aaron W. LaFramboise