From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-31 10:42:09

> "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > "Rene Rivera" <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> >> I took some time to take a closer look at what the current test
failures
> >> could be about on the cw-8.3 compiler... before I go on vacation.
> >> Specifically I looked at the test_exported errors as those seemed to be
> >> common to both the 9 and 8 versions of CW. My findings...
> >>
> >> I managed to get the export tests to *pass* by modifying the test
itself
> >> (see attached). The problems boils down to the behavior of CW to only
> >> instantiate templates when they are used. This not just applies to
class
> >> templates, but to template methods.
> >
> > Agreed
>
> This should be considered standard portable behavior. If the library
> is relying on different behavior, a redesign is probably in order
> (after the release, of course).

Actually, I'm coming to believe that the "export" functionality (demanded by
certain users) cannot be implemented in a way that is guarenteed to work for
strickly confoming compilers. That is why the code includes a little extra
help which is compiler dependent. So if one wants a package which is
guarenteed to work for al standard conforming compilers - either one will
have to give up on the "export" functionality or add something to the
standard to mark code for guarenteed instantiation.