From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-01 01:21:52

Eric Niebler writes:
> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
>

> > For your convenience, the unpacked contents is also available online
> > at http://www.meta-comm.com/engineering/boost/1_32_0_draft/. You
> > can consider this to be a draft version of post-1.32 Boost website.
> >

> It looks like only some of the documentation is using the new style
> sheet.

It's more than that, but you're probably right that a uniform stylesheet
would smooth the most visible differences.

> Compare these two:
>
> http://www.meta-comm.com/engineering/boost/1_32_0_draft/doc/html/any.html

This one is BoostBook-generated.

> http://www.meta-comm.com/engineering/boost/1_32_0_draft/libs/bind/bind.html

And this one is hand-crafted (AFAIK).

> Kind of messed up.

I agree that the lack of consistency is significantly more obvious than what
we had in the previous release. Different font styles in particular are
probably the most visible part of the discrepancy. IMO the other differences
fall into the category of "acceptable".

Come to think about it, the Spirit docs didn't change from the previous
release and still have the old look & feel that is even more different
from everything else:

http://www.meta-comm.com/engineering/boost/1_32_0_draft/libs/spirit/index.html

I'm not sure whether we should do something about that or not (but I'd
welcome uniformity here as well, if Spirit folks want to tackle it!).

> Should I edit all the HTML files to make them refer to the new style sheet?

I'm afraid that would require approval from the corresponding authors of the
library. I'm sure some library authors weren't participating in the look & feel
debate partly because as long as it was about BoostBook-generated docs, it
didn't affect them. If we were to change the look of _every_ documentation page,
it would require a significantly wider consensus, and possibly acknowledgement
of the bits which are left up to individual preferences.

> Or back out the style sheet for this release?

I'd consider backing out on the fonts, and leaving everything else as is.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering