From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-01 07:42:35

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

>> The first two archives does not give write permissions to the user (for
>> the unarchived files).
>
> That's intentional. After all, normally you shouldn't be modifying
> anything in the distribution. Or should you?

No unix source package I ever downloaded had read-only files. That gives no
protection, really. If I unintentionally remove some files, I can just
reinstall. If I want to edit them, I'll edit them anyway. Write protection
will just get in the way. BTW, just like it gets in the way with Boost CVS
-- somehow all files are read only and I constantly have to change
permissions or tell Emacs to override them.

- Volodya