From: Stefan Seefeld (sseefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-01 10:08:33

youp.

> > That gives no protection, really.
>
> It prevents you from accidental editing/deletion.

As a machine's administrator I would explicitely set the permissions
(and ownership, of course) of all files, anyways.

> Completely unlike it, IMO. In the above situation, it's a CVS
> checkout,
> you are a developer, and editing is a normal workflow. Everything is
> exactly the opposite with the tarball.

I don't quite agree. The 'developer' role has meaning only in a given
context. Read: It's not because I shouldn't modify code in the boost
repository that I shouldn't be able to mess with my copy of a release
tarball.

Regards,
                Stefan