From: Johan Nilsson (johan.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-02 09:38:37

"Darryl Green" <darryl.green_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein <at> gmail.com> writes:

[ snip ACE log definition]

> > No judgements of relative goodness/badness, just for informational
> > purposes. I would also suggest that any structured log message
> > contain a timestamp indicating when it was generated.
>
> I'm not clear on your point here - do you/have you used the ACE logging
> facilities? What feature do you actually want, if any, from there?
>
> I certainly don't want a logging lib that collects "interesting stuff" on
> the off-chance that some output formatter might use it (and there have
already
> been complaints about coupling - something like this is going to make it
worse).

Could each log provide its own log item definition? The idea just popped up,
so I don't know if it's good or bad.

> If what you want is something like the ability to have a modifier add this
sort
> of information to the message, it already exists. The only question is, in
what
> form is the message and the data added by the modifier? There is nothing
> stopping you from (for example) putting XML into the message, and having
the
> modifiers add additional elements, then having an xml processing appender
> pick/chose and format these elements. Now, that sounds like overkill, but
in
> some systems that may be a great idea, because the appender is actually
just
> chucking this data in a file, or across a network, and some log
> view/query/filter tool can process the XML any way it likes. A
lighter-weight
> version might just put attrib=value entries into the message, with
newlines
> separating them or... If that isn't enough, as I've said before, it is
possible
> to have some completely custom "string" and "stream" if that works for
you.

That's good, but it doesn't put off the formatting (from whatever to text)
so that it can be performed in the background.

> Maybe what is really missing is a clear set set of requirements the libary
> needs to address. FWIW I think the following is a reasonable set, without
> ending up with an everything including the kitchen sink result:

(forward comment: excellent summary)

> The library must provide a logging framework with a fairly minimal,
portable
> set of facilities with few dependencies. Exactly what those facilites
should be
> may need some refinement, but the ability to produce logfiles in some
> conventional, useful ways (including cyclic) and formats, and the ability
> easily output arbitrary data to the log (which pretty much means a streams
> interface?) would seem to be the absolute minimum.
>
> The logging library must be very efficient in handling disabled "logs".
>
> The logging library must be user extensible to add new output (appender)
> facilities. This should be very easy and not require in-depth
knowledge/study
> of library/its docs to do. Appenders, which are likely to have system
> dependencies, should not be tightly coupled with the core logging
facilities.

> The logging library must be user extensible to add new modifier
facilities.
> This should be very easy and not require in-depth knowledge/study of
> library/its docs to do. Modifiers, which are likely to have system
> dependencies, should not be tightly coupled with the core logging
facilities.

> The library must scale well. This should include the ability to
(efficiently)
> use a very minimal form of the library in small, perhaps single-threaded
only,
> apps as well as achieving good performance on multiprocessor platforms in
> multithreaded apps.
>
> The above points cover basic, portable usage. However, there are many
> environments where more customisation is needed, possibly non-portably.
Making
> some components of the library generic can address this, but beyond some
> (possibly useful in their own right) example/test cases, I don't think
actual
> implementations of a wide variety of these options need be included in the
> library, though over time it could be extended with additional
submissions.

No, but I strongly recommend that enough thought go into this process, to
avoid the initial implementation preventing this without major rewrites.

> Customisable Configuration/control of log enabled/disable, which appenders
> particular logs write to etc. One general purpose way of doing this at
least
> must be provided.
>
> Customisation of the form in which log information is provided to the log.
> As per earlier requirements, a stream interface at least must be provided.
> Another interface, perhaps one allowing some form of arbitrrary
attribute/value
> entry might be provided at least as an example.
>
> Customisation of the form in which log messages are transported to
> modifiers/appenders. Currently the lib uses std::string for this. Perhaps
a more
> highly tuned type could be provided by default - one where modifiers
> directly/efficiently prepend (as well as append) through a stream
interface
> would be useful. Appenders really only need to receive a character
iterator
> range.

You are assuming appenders only need to work with pre-formatted text.

> However, more wildly different types should be possible and at least an
> example provided (eg. some form of sequence of attribute/value pairs -
maybe a
> map<std::string,boost::any> would be a good example?).

That sounds interesting - even though I'd like to stay out of boost::any /
boost::variant dependencies also. NIH syndrome or minimizing dependencies?
Also, I've got a feeling that at least boost::variant is pretty heavy on the
compile times ... am I right?

> I actually think the current proposal goes a long way towards meeting all
of
> these (there are some areas that need "fixing" but I think the basic
design is
> there). Are there any other design issues that need to be resolved or is
it only
> a case of the implementation having a few gaps/bugs?

- The actual logging calls themselves also should be made as efficient as
possible, not only the enabled/disabled checking.
- Localization support (perhaps not so basic).

// Johan