Boost logo

Boost :

From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-08 04:03:24

Michael Walter wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 13:12:14 +0000, Val Samko <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > MW> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:54:30 +0000, Val Samko <boost_at_[hidden]>
> > >> Once again, in geometry, vector and point are practically the same
> > MW> Not really - you can only represent a point by its radius/position
> > MW> vector wrt a given coordinate system.
> >
> > I thought we are only talking about Cartesian coordinates? Does anyone
> > really need a gui library for radial coordinate system? :)
>Apologies - I was apparently using the wrong term (not a native
>English speaker), and was just seeing "the vector r from the origin to
>the current position" on Mathworld. Googling a bit more it appears
>that it is such a vector in a polar/spherical coordinate system only.
>The word I was looking for is "Ortsvektor" in German, the vector from
>the origin to a certain point. What would be the proper word for that
>in English (tried googling, failed :)?

"Ort" means place, so it would be "place vector", or more likely "position
vector". Is this what you mean?

Using produces "radius


Want to block unwanted pop-ups? Download the free MSN Toolbar now!

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at