From: Russell Hind (rh_gmane_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-09 02:54:52

Edward Diener wrote:

> The one area where C++ is weaker than other languages for design time UI,
> and component, development is in its lack of a general run-time reflection
> mechanism. That is the only area which I see that is holding it back.

A solution I've read about that I like to solve this is a separate
'pre-processor' that can pass your current project and look for certain
members/member-functions and generate code to build up the appropriate
required run-time information

(e.g. it could recognise the '__published:' section of Borland's VCL
classes and generate the code containg the list of members in that
section which would be accessible at runtime)

I'm sure this could be done in a compiler independent way as it would be
parsing C++ code and generating C++ code to then be compiled by your
compiler of choice.

I can't remember where I first read about this idea but perhaps someone
else has more information.

Thanks

Russell