From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-09 11:36:02

I'm sure I am not the only lurker watching work on this VERY complex
(and, sadly, very, very MESSY) issue.

I want to thank Andy for his significant efforts,
but to agree that none of his ambitious proposals
on physical quantities and units are fully worked out yet.

It is unclear to me if this is because of the intrinsic muddle of the
units in use

- even for pure SI, temperature in Celcuis and weight in kg are 'irregular'
:-(

And as for 'Imperial' </eyeroll> ...
as we call it from the 'FatherLand',
and are still so widely used in our favorite ex-colony,
long after we went metric ;-).

Or it is the language itself that can't handle it?

But this remains an important problem:
meanwhile there are very many programming mistakes made every day
which are less spectacular than Martian Lander Prangs,
but collectively much more important.

So I hope it won't be removed from the Boost wish-list,
and that work on it will continue,
especially to mesh at compile-time with containers, including matrices.

Paul

Paul A Bristow
+44 1539 561830 +44 7714 330204
mailto: pbristow_at_[hidden]