From: Jared McIntyre (jmcintyre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-09 20:31:41

>Yes - this was the one major benefit that I could think of when I wrote my
>original reply. But once you've exposed the data in question to the
>scripting language of your choice, you gain quite a bit:
>- By attaching validation routines and the like in your scripting layer, you
>can tune these without having to rebuild your program, or even restart it if
>you're lucky.
>- You can plug data and validation routines into UI elements using your UI
>design tool!
>- You can also expose the resulting bindings at the application level for
>things like scripting support.

The majority of my validation occurs in the logic layer of my
applications. I don't usually put validation code in the GUI unless
it is absolutely necessary, and then I usually design a special
control (or a special validation object if the native GUI platform
supports that type of idea). Even when I do that, the real
validation still happens in the logic layer. I don't ever let my GUI
access the data members of my logic layer directly. Perhaps this is
why I would like the type of framework I described last week, and why
I rather like Apple's Cocoa framework (even though I don't get to use
it that often).

So, a large use case for a higher level language to manage this code
isn't useful for what I want, but some of it still is. It might be
nice to use a high level script language to put in GUI dependencies
(like, hide/show and enable/disable). But, its simple data binding
and event handling I'm really looking for. I want less code if
possible.

Jared McIntyre