From: Mathew Robertson (mathew.robertson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-11 00:54:02

> >>(f) Bind types to GUI objects, using results of (a).
> >
> > What does it mean to bind a type to a GUI object?
>
> This is something I somewhat do in parts of the GUI code I have.
> Basically it's being able to tie a variable (class member, global, etc)
> to be displayed and manipulated "directly" by a GUI widget. For example
> attaching an enum to a combo-box, or a string to a text-box. Doing
> something that maps from the type to the widget automatically given the
> reflection info of the type is not an easy task as there's more to a
> variable than just the type which one ends up adding when creating the
> widget bindings, or at least I did.

The FOX GUI has exactly this capability, you can connect a variable directly to the widget, without requiring any glue code at all. In fact, you can connect the same variable to multiple widgets at the same time (eg a 'spinner' widget and an 'editeline'), without requiring the programmer to write any type of callback mechanism.

This works because all GUI events are bi-directional. For more information, read: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/datatarget.html

regards
Mathew