From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-11 18:03:32

Bruno Martínez Aguerre wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>
>> In addition, basic_path on user-defined types simply doesn't make
>> sense (to me at least), because the user can't just define his own
>> path class. The set of supported paths is determined by the
>> capabilities of the underlying filesystem layer. In particular, the
>> user cannot define the conversions between the different path types,
>> because they are implementation defined.
>
> It does make sense to me. You could build an archive file yourself
> and use Boost.Filesystem to navigate it.

Boost.Filesystem cannot navigate archives. It is a portable wrapper over the
native filesystem API. You may use basic_path<something> as a custom path
and write your own filesystem library to navigate your archives, but (1)
this is not the stated goal of Boost.Filesystem and (2) why would you want
to make people's lives miserable by using a nonstandard path is beyond me.