From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-12 09:03:26

Robert,

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> "Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> > I've read the Serialization documentation, but haven't used it yet. I've
> noticed
> > it takes a long time to build, but this is probably because of the
various
> > combinations of threading, debugging and linking options.
>
> This is most probably due the compilation of the xml_archives class which
> uses spirit to parse XML input. Not that it matters as its just a one
time
> cost in any case. If fact, this is the very reason that its a library
> rather than a header.
>
> User program which use serialization library generally compile quite fast.
> No one has reported that serialization adds a disproportionate amount to
> compile time. I did get one reporte from one user with 80 classes that he
> was starting to get ICEs from VC 7.1 . But that's it.

FYI.

I've hit VC7.1 "internal structure limits" with much fewer than 80 classes
( about a dozen) in a single translation unit. I use both xml and binary
archives to support serialization to disk and clipboard/drag/drop
respectively. In particular I have separate compilation units with only 2-3
BOOST_SHARED_POINTER_EXPORT calls. Any additional calls exceed VC7.1 limits.

Jeff Flinn
Applied Dynamics, International