From: Neal D. Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-12 15:10:43

John Torjo wrote:

>> Like Robert I am uncomfortable with a
>> range concept that has iteration capabilities.
>> For one thing, standard containers don't
>> satisfy that concept, and it seems to me
>> that a container ought to be a range without
>> any special adaptation. Furthermore
>
> Well... This was to allow easy manual loops.
>
>> I have doubts about how well this "range/iterator"
>> concept maps onto bidirectional
>> and random access. That said...
>
> It maps ok with bidirectional/random access. If an iterator has a given
> iterator category, the range will preserve it. I have used it in code,
> and it's quite powerful.
>

>> ...Perhaps more importantly, iterator interfaces don't lend themselves
>> to functional composition:
>>
>> ranges::for_each(
>> transformed(filtered(some_array, is_even), _1 / 2)
>> , print);
>>
>> Try to say *that* with iterators.
>
> Indeed ;)
>

>> This is the design approach taken in
>> MPL and Fusion, and it works very well. I am
>> strongly for an algorithm and lazy adapter
>> library based on ranges, and moderately
>> strongly against directly giving ranges any
>> direct iteration capability.
>
> As you probably know, the library is around 1 year old. I've used it
> heavily on some of my projects, and all I can say is that iteration
> capability has helped me much.

If you write all your algorithms to a range interface instead of iterator
interface, that's a big win when you really want ranges. When you have to
manually iterate in a loop, it's a loss. Now you have to say:

template<class in_cont, class out_cont>
algorithm (in_cont const& in, out_cont & out) {
  typename boost::range_const_iterator<in_cont>::type i = boost::begin (in);
  typename boost::range_iterator<out_cont>::type o = boost::begin (out);
  for (; i != boost::end (in); ++i, ++o) ...

In this case, I'd say it's a net loss.