From: Jaap Suter (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-16 11:37:52

> My advice: use the MPL constructs and optimize later. When
> you're done you can measure the compilation speed difference
> when using mpl::plus, minus and divides vs. the ugly version at
> the bottom. I bet you dollars to donuts that it's not a significant
> hit. But if it is, you can make some informed choices.

Believe me, I'm better known for premature pessimization then premature
optimization.

It's no longer a matter of compilation times (I can live with that), but a
matter of the compiler no longer being able to handle it (running out of
memory, out of keys, etcetera). I've tried many other things first (/Zm,
splitting up source files, etcetera), but I'm beginning to believe that
meta-C++ is just not quite ready for the algorithmic complexity of some of
my meta-code.

I've started reaching for the preprocessor a lot lately, and I'm now writing
a blend of template code and preprocessor code that is quite elegant, albeit
completely unreadable ;).

It does compile a lot faster fortunately.

Thanks,

Jaap Suter