From: Vyacheslav E. Andrejev (vandrejev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-17 03:27:41

Hello Robert,

RR> The report suggested changes in a serialization library header and a
RR> config header for VC 7.1.
RR>
RR> I concluded that the issue with the serialization library was a
RR> valid one - although it didn't show up in any testing, and removed
RR> some leftover useless code.

Sorry, but your removal didn't fully eliminate the problem. In large enough project the problem comes up eventually.

RR> Another suggestion was to define BOOST_NO_ARGUMENT_DEPENDENT_LOOKUP
RR> for VC 7.1 .
RR>
RR> a) I didn't feel sufficiently knowledgable to evaluate such a
RR> proposal.
RR> b) It seemed (and still seems) pretty radical to me.
RR> c) Such a change would have to be made only after thorough
RR> investigation of
RR> any vagarities in VC 7.1 implementation of ADL. I suspect that no
RR> one has
RR> been able to justify this effort.
RR> Robert Ramey

Yes, your're right. But this preprocessor macro is used only in one place of the whole boost, namely in serialization library.

What were the reasons to put load and save methods for collections to std namespace? This is a root of evil. We may not define BOOST_NO_ARGUMENT_DEPENDENT_LOOKUP for vc7.1, but simply put load and save to boost::serialization for vc7.1. I think, that code that you have removed, was intended exactly for this purposes, but were written with error. May be right decision would be not to remove the code, but instead accuratly rewrite it in order to place load and save in serialization namespace specailly for vc7.1.

--
Vyacheslav E. Andrejev
System Architect, Excelsior, LLC