From: Mathew Robertson (mathew.robertson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-18 03:16:12

----- Original Message -----
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 6:42 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: GUI Library Proposal for a Proposal

> Mathew Robertson wrote:
>
> >>the Lit Window Library is a layer above a widget library and allows you
> >>
> >>http://www.litwindow.com/library
> >

> > ie the first example (from "How RapidUI speeds up your development
> work...") where some settings are loaded. The example is invalid as the
> comparision is being done using operator>> vs. raw implementation code.
>
> Err, sorry? Why is the example invalid because I am using the >> operator?
>
> I could have used
>
> write_config(config, s)
>
> instead.
>
> I think you may have missed the point: the operator >> (or write_config)
> is a generic function and will work with any data type!

The point was that I could also write an operator>> which read the config, into the settings object.
What is not clear, is how the cfg object (which has accessor members) can write into the Settings struct.

Does Lit parse the header file of wxConfigBase? I just dont see how one object can map data into another object of completely different type, without there being an

    operator>> (wcConfigBase, Settings)

operator (or a variation thereof, such as a member operator). Could you explain this please?

> So while you have to write code for ReadSettings/WriteSettings again for
> every different actual 'Settings' definition, you don't have to do that
> if you are using the generic function. You simply *use* (rather than
> rewrite) write_config instead.
>
> Don't mistake the operator>> used in the example for the standard
> iostream operator >>. The example is not writing the 'Settings' class as
> a binary blob. The operator >> is implemented by the lit window library
> and it is not a template.

obviously.

> Or did I misunderstand you?
>
> Also, regarding the relevancy of the examples and the concept, have you
> had the time to look at the RssReader tutorial yet? Step 3 and 4 of the
> tutorial will be especially interesting.
>
> Here's the link to step 4
>
> http://www.litwindow.com/lwl/doc/html/tutorial_step_4.html
>
> Best regards and thank you for your comments

I'll take more of a look this coming weekend, as I'm not sure I follow the tutorials...

cheers,
Mathew