From: Marvin Sielenkemper (sielenk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-18 04:59:20

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Very good call - precisely the correct fix!
Thank you.

> I was never able to see any test results from VC 8.0 since the library

> failed to build because of some issue with VC 8.0 and spirit 1.8. I
> believe this issue has since been resolved but since then testing
> hasn't been done pending final release of 1.32.
Yes, this issue is resolved. I posted a fix some time ago directly at
sourceforge. :-)

> I'm wondering if this is the only issue in relation to VC 8.0? Were
> you able to run all the tests and build all the libraries? If so what

> kind of results did you get? The library pass 100% with VC 7.1 (no
> suprise because that's what I use here).
Actually, up to now I only compiled the libraries. The current CVS head
(with fixes) compiles 100% with VC 7.1 and VC 8.0. I'll try to run the
regression tests.

> I would hope that accommodating VC 8.0 would entail only the most
> minimal adjustments. Any insight you can give me here would be
> interesting.
No problems here. The compiler is a little bit closer to ISO.

> Also how does one aquire his own copy of vc 8.0 beta - is it worth
it?.
Try http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/ ... its free ...
It does refactoring - but sadly not for C++.
It comes with managed C++ - really nice.
It contains .Net 2.0 - C# with templates.
Sometimes it reminds me of Eclipse.

We're currently using it to develop a filesystem filter driver for
Win2k/XP.
The driver is C++, the tests are partially (managed) C++ and partially
C#.
Works nicely ...

> Personally I hate dealing with microsoft betas. I give the feed back
> on problems and the release version has all the same issues.
We did report a bug in the new STL (the one that causes boost to break
;-) and it was acknowledged and fixed ...

--
MfG Marvin H. Sielenkemper,
PROVISIO GmbH