From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-21 10:29:56

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:17:21 +0000, Reece Dunn wrote

First off, most of this is headed in the right direction. Most of what I see
is a nice improvement over the current site. A couple of points:

1) Can we move the search?
I'm sorry I don't have time to prototype something, but it would be great if
the search could get out of the main flow of the page and into the header
somehow. What I'm thinking is something vaguely like http://www.php.net/
where the search is on the top right of the page. We might also consider
putting a 'quickpick' bar running across the top which has the most frequently
used links. And just to be clear, I'm not a big fan of the 3 column
arrangement on the php front page...

2) Color choices:
http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/index.htm

White on blue isn't a good choice here in my view. A light shading with dark
text would be much better.

I don't like these either -- the red is too jarring for me...
 http://uk.geocities.com/msclrhd/boost/boost2.html

Luckily, these are easy to change.

3) The need for icons
Personally, the icons really don't do anything except add a bit of flair to
the page. So I'm with Dave on this -- the text is more important.

I'll have some additional thoughts on content organization if I can ever get
finished with my OOPSLA workshop writeup. We had some specific discussions
about content changes that need to be made...

Thanks for working on this!

Jeff