From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-22 20:53:45

Comments:

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Very. I've used many languages which included named parameters, I've
designed and implemented languages with named parameters, I've seen
first-hand the benefits that accrued when named parameters where added to a
language, and I've been in numerous discussions with other committee
members regarding the need to add named parameters to the C++ language.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

It is the first C++ named parameter design that I consider easy enough to
use that both designers and users will benefit. Long term, I hope named
parameters will be added to the language itself, but short-term this
library is a nice step in the right direction. I think the library will be
useful in more than enough cases to justify its inclusion in Boost.

Named parameters are not useful in every interface design. They always seem
to me to be most useful in applications which much cope with a lot of
real-world complication. Thus they tend to get used more in industrial
applications than computer science applications.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
>reading? In-depth study?

An hour of reading and looking at reference material.

>As always, please remember to clearly state whether you believe the
>library should be accepted into Boost.

Yes.

--Beman