From: Richard Hadsell (hadsell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-23 12:06:17

Markus Schöpflin wrote:

> If you happen to know a way to distinguish the two versions on
> preprocessor level, a fix would be easy.

What about using _POSIX_VERSION? boost/config/posix_features.hpp sets
macros for the availability of various headers. Perhaps there could be
one for inttypes.h. It might be difficult to find out what
_POSIX_VERSION number would be the best indicator, but it seems a likely
place to start.

All I can tell you is that my 4.0F system defines _POSIX_VERSION = 199506.

> I don't think that currently there is any distinction at all between
> 4.x and 5.x, neither in boost nor in boost.build or in the toolset.

If the preprocessor lets you down, and inttypes.h became available with
5.0, you could add a toolset option that sets an appropriate -D compiler
flag to make the distinction between 4.x and 5.x. It would just be a
bjam build option. (If this header is the only reason to distinguish
between Tru64 versions, and it was introduced between 5.0c and 5.0d, for
example, it seems a bit silly to have a toolset option just for this.)

> What really amazes me is that you can use V6.5 on Tru64 4.x, I always
> thought that V5.x was the latest compiler toolset for Tru64 4.x.

I think that cxx 6.5 was ready before Tru64 5.0 was solid. Everyone was
happy with 4.0F and they were unsure of 5.0, or they were not ready to
support whatever source code changes it might entail. Yet they wanted
the C++ improvements in 6.5.

So when you installed the compiler, I think you had to select the
version for 4.0 instead of the version for 5.0.

--
Dick Hadsell			914-259-6320  Fax: 914-259-6499
Reply-to:			hadsell_at_[hidden]