From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-23 13:40:49

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:54:32 +0300 (MSK), Alexander Konovalenko wrote
> >BTW, there is a major rewrite of I/O that will be in 1.33 that will allow
> >you to define format strings for parsing and output via a new facet.
>
> Is it in the CVS already? What's your estimate of the release date?

Much of the code is already in CVS, but the 'interfaces' (eg: operator>> and
operator<<) are not hooked up. If all goes well I will check in another
round in the next week or so that converts over, but don't expect that it
will be ready for prime time for a couple months at least. We have a bunch
of stuff for local_time we are trying to wrap up as well...

In short you can specify the format for input or output via a string using a
format string:

 "%Y-%b-%d %H:%M:%S%F" for a form like: 2004-Oct-20 19:02:57.000002999

So this will give complete control over input and output. If you look at
libs/date_time/gregorian/testformat_date_parser.cpp and
libs/date_time/posix_time/testtime_facet.cpp you can see more examples of
how the guts of the new design works.

Jeff