From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-23 14:55:16

Deane Yang wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>>> Nice. (I would still prefer a darker blue for the links)
>>

>> If it were any darker it would look exactly like regular black text
>> on my screen. It's only barely perceptible to me now.
>>

> I'm probably using the wrong adjective with "darker".

Yes. I think you mean "more contrast". There are other ways to improve
contrast without changing the luminance. It's a problem with visual
perception that's hard to deal with, and with much research behind it.
As an example here's a quick color study comparison of the wiki link
color and my current link color...

http://redshift-software.com/~grafik/boost/color.htm

The wiki color is on the left, mine on the right. The first three rows
are the pure color. The second three are the luminance of the colors
only. Both have the text in white and the opposing color. This helps
show differences, and more importantly similarities, in the brightness
and contrast of the colors. (this is a common way of typeset comparison)

As you can see the wiki color has slightly more contrast on the white.
But it has less contrast when only the luminance is considered. One
common cause for this is the color bleeding that happens on monitors.
For others the experience will vary, including laptop LCD users which
are likely to see either no difference or significant difference between
the two depending on how the LCD does a "floor" or "ceiling" on the colors.

> And I hate to sound like a broken record, but I compare
> every attempt directly against www.wikipedia.org.
> The shade of blue used in wikipedia.org (or is it my browser?)

It's wikipedia... and your graphics card.. and your gamma curve.. and
your monitor, LCD, plasma, or projection.

My suggestion, for you and others, is to download the above page and
play with the colors yourself to see how it looks on your display. And
tell everyone of your experience :-)

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything