From: Reid Sweatman (drunkardswalk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-24 16:32:37

Well, what about the Nike "swoosh?" But just so I don't come off as a
useless kibitzer, I've attached an attempt. Probably too busy with the
effects (just wanted it to look reasonably good for a quick knock-out), but
the basic idea could easily be reduced to something very simple. And if
someone's already submitted something like this, I apologize; I'm on a dead
run right now, and don't have time to read the whole thread or look at more
than a few of the submitted logos.

I worked from two basics: an abstraction of the meaning of "boost," which I
implied with the up-arrow shape, shadow-duped to imply comic-book-style
upward motion; and the doubled plus-signs, which seem to me to convey both
"boost" and a connection with C++, while not requiring any reading, per se
(I'll argue that to a C++ coder, the increment operator is pretty well
iconic already, probably so in some sense even to a non-coder).

I would agree with the comments (don't know who made them originally) in
favor of simplicity, but would remind everyone of the obvious Einstein
quote. Incidentally, if you really want a good idea of what logos are out
there, just go to any major library that has the current trademark database
in its government documents section (at least, this is true in the US) and
start looking up companies to see what they trademarked. Incidentally, the
IBM trademark is a really interesting one in terms of exactly what it covers
(and what they've sued over in the past), especially since it's exactly the
opposite kind of trademark, and probably the one Dave first thought of when
he made the remark concerning logos always having the product or company
name included; the IBM logo *is* the company name (with some interesting
flourishes--see the actual phrasing of the trademark application <g>).

Reid

Boost_Logo.jpg