From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-26 15:47:01

Roland Schwarz wrote:
> Michael Walter wrote:
>
>>Hm yeah I know of these, I thought those more resembled hard links. Hmm.
>
> I would say: neither nor. They are implemented at the filesystem driver,
> so they are similar to an hardlink,
> but they can span devices, so they are similar to a symlink.
> Also you can only link directories, and not files.

NTFS also has hard links, which I think have duplicate semantics to
POSIX hard links.

The junction points are like symbolic links, but unfortunately only for
files.

They are both implemented as reparse points within the NTFS driver. I
think that if one had a copy of the IFS development kit (which MS
charges ~$1000 for), one could create a new IFS filter that would allow
creation of true POSIX-style symbolic links using custom reparse points.

If anyone has heard of anyone who has done this, I'd love to hear about it.

Aaron W. LaFramboise