From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-28 11:30:12

I used Ron Garcias utf8 codecvt facet that I down loaded from yahoo files
section. I just wrote some tests and make some tweaks as test results for
various platforms came it. In includes a manual page in standard boost
format.

there is another file (utf8_transform_iterator) which wraps the same
functionality in an standard iterator.

Given my experience with the codecvt facet, (I just worked - except for
tweaks required for older libraries/compilers) I would strongly recommend
that this this other package be examined as well. In fact, I'm sure that it
would be easy to transfer the portability tweaks from the current package to
the iterator based one.

Finally, now that I'm more familiar with codecvt facets, iterators, iterator
adaptors, stream buffers, etc. I would much like to see something like the
following developed.

composable codecvt facets
===================

a) codecvt facet which takes an iterator as a type parameter.
b) a few basic iterator adaptors
c) the ability to compose iterator adaptors to be used as a codecvt facet

This would leverage on iterarator adaptors and children, ie. dataflow
iterators, ranges, views, fusion? or?
to permit one to compose codecvt facets for compression, encryption, and
code conversion

Just an idea.

Robert Ramey

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> > I may also need UTF-8 conversion as an implementation detail for
> > boost::filesystem::wpath on Linux and/or POSIX. So I'd really appreciate
> > it if you move ahead with your plan above.
>
> I'm also starting to do UTF-interconversion inside regex, but with
iterators

(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost/boost/boost/regex/pending/Attic
/unicode_iterator.hpp),