From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-29 16:38:58

Rob Stewart wrote:

> From: Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]>
> [...]
> -- As viewed with my browsers, which work quite nicely at other
> web sites, there is way too much white, and not enough
> black/blue from the text. IOW, the contrast is really low
> because the lines of the letters are so thin. This is more
> pronounced with the blue of the links than with the black, but
> both are a problem.

I think dense text is much harder to read. When space is at a
premium, then I think dense text is acceptable. But given the choice
between a crowded page and a more open one, I prefer the latter.
Dense text tends to make it more difficult to find things, I think.

> [...]
> -- The "Participation" section should be a subsection of the
> "Welcome to Boost.org!" section. It should be a main section,
> despite how much participation is valued.

Did you mean to say "It should [not] be a main section..."? If so,
I think I agree. It's such a small paragraph that it seems a little
odd by itself.

> [...]
> -- The drop down list for searching obscures the other choices.
> I think the right behavior is to search everything, or just
> the site from the home page, with an "Advanced Search" link
> that offers more search options. This helps to keep the home
> page simpler and is more in keeping with other web sites.

I guess that would be appropriate if the site were very large and
had many possible places to search. But on a site as small as Boost,
with fairly disjoint sets of data that people generally want to look
at, I think having partitioned searches is just fine.

> -- The section labeled, "About," has always mislead me. I guess
> I've been trained by Microsoft to expect application or
> organization information under that heading, so the links that
> appear in that section seem out of place. In this case,
> changing "About" to, say, "Reviews and Submissions" might be
> just the thing.

I agree that "About" is used a little unconventionally. I think
other possibilities for the section title would be "Policies",
"Protocol", "Details", "Contributing" or something along those lines.

Dave