From: Tim Laplaca (tlaplaca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-01 16:29:59

Caleb Epstein wrote:
> You can make a thread non-joinable, in which case it will
> automatically clean up after itself, by deleting the heap-allocated
> thread objects you create. The thread will continue to run, but it
> will become "detached" and you won't face this resource issue on
> thread exit.

I would have never thought of that, sounds dangerous! I tried it and it
seems to work though. Is that pretty safe?

Specifically, I'm spawning my threads like this:
boost::thread *ptr = thrds.create_thread(boost::bind (threadfunc,
totalthreads, xx+1));

delete ptr;

(where thrds is a thread group)

My sample prog has made over 300,000 threads so far with this method, so
it seems pretty stable.

Tim