From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-01 17:17:29

From: Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart wrote:
> > From: Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]>
> >
> > My other suggestion was to make them more visually
> > useful. Right now, they are big black blotches that are a
> > distraction. They overwhelm the page and the heading they
> > adorn. The partial box design I suggested would be less stark.
>
> stark:
> 5 : sharply delineated <a stark contrast>
>
> I think you are using #5 ??

Yep.

> I disagree.. Making the section heading less "stark" just muddles the
> structure of the front page.

I didn't say to make the heading less stark. I'm after making
the graphical element less stark.

> > I might also point out that the text doesn't have to be bold.
> > The combination of the partial box and smaller or less bold text
> > can be suitably strong in concert.
>
> No it doesn't have to be bold.. But it would be inconsistent with the
> rest of the page.

The others could well follow suit. Even if they don't, the
headings in question are already much larger, so they can be
different in this way without causing the inconsistency you're
imagining (at least in my imagination).

> >> Welcome to Boost.org!
> >> ----------------------

> >> emphasis is on libraries...
> >>
> >>But that would dilute the meaning of those box lines away from the
> >>navigation boxes they currently delineate.
> >
> > Too busy.
>
> Really? How is it more busy than your box idea?

I took that to mean that the vertical line would continue along
the text of the entire section. If you meant just a small
vertical line, then that might also be appropriate. I'd be
interested in seeing both.

> > Sure, those are very common links, but there is a smaller set
> > that could adorn every page, not just the home page.
>
> The _front_ page doesn't need the added clutter of duplicate links,
> nothing to say of making it fail accessibility validation.
>
> Yes, interior pages would benefit from a navigation bar, possibly at the
> top, just like most of them already have. But that is a different
> discussion.

You're probably right (that such a navbar should be on all but
the first page).