From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-06 04:03:03

On Monday 06 December 2004 11:41, Oliver Kullmann wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 10:29:23AM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > Hi Oliver,
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I would like to report 3 issues with the
> > > program_options library, 2 of which seem
> > > critical to me:
> >
> > First of all, please don't ask questions by replying to unrelated
> > messages, this causes inconvenience for reading.
>
> Hi,
>
> don't know what you mean here (I didn't reply to anything?!).

Your original email includes this header:

which is only inserted when replying to message. If you say you just posted
the message, I don't know what do think.

> > class BOOST_PROGRAM_OPTIONS_DECL value_semantic {
> > public:
> > virtual ~value_semantic() {}
> > };
> >
> > Now, you must be either looking at a different class, or at a pre-release
> > version of the library (though I think dtor was virtual all the time), or
> > overlooked this definition.
>
> Good to hear; then the documentation is (fortunately) wrong (it actually
> has problems at many places):
>
> boost_1_32_0/doc/html/value_semantic.html
>
> class value_semantic {
> public:
> // construct/copy/destruct
> ~value_semantic();

I raise the issue on boost-docs mailing list.

> > > /usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by
> > > /usr/local/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../libboost_program_op
> > >tions-gcc.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.6
> > >
> > > (see point 3), but this doesn't seem to be of importance here.
> >
> > Actually, this means that you've built program_options with g++ 3.3 and
> > compile you program with g++ 3.4. The C++ standard library is not
> > compatible in those versions, so anything can happen, including a crash.
>
> As I said, I did built Boost with g++ 3.4.3; so I think under certain
> circumstances the build doesn't work. (By the way, the previous version of
> g++ on that system was 3.4.2.)

Can you try removing:

   /usr/local/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../libboost_program_options-gcc.so

and rebuilding/reinstalling it? I'm pretty sure this warning is caused by
compiler version mistmatch (though I never though it's 3.4.2 -> 3.4.3
mismatch that can cause it).

> In any case, it seems that the Boost documentation does not contain at any
> place a detailed description how to link, and that seems to be something
> worth adding.

I don't think I'm the person to decide on that, but maybe if you can suggest
what boost-specific information should be given, it can be done.

- Volodya